Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Korean Sijo

Literature teachers, consider the sijo in addition to the haiku as a form of poetry you introduce to your students. The sijo is a Korean poem, 3 lines long, each line with 4 sections.

Here is one of the most well-known, expressing Confucian virtues. It was written by Chong Mong-ju just before his execution for refusing to betray his king.

Though I die, and die again; though I die one hundred deaths;
Long after my bones have turned to dust; whether my soul exists or not;
My one red heart, forever and always loyal to my lord, will never fade away.

이몸이 죽고 죽어 일 백번 고쳐 죽어
백골이 진토되어 넋이라도 있고 없고
님 향한 일편단심이야 가실 줄이 있으랴.

2 comments:

  1. I only see 4 lines but it may be the formatting of the computer.. I would willingly teach this form- maybe we can dovetail some lessons this fall??

    ReplyDelete